In an earlier blog post (Understanding my students or why I started learning Haskell, Part III) I came out the Computer Science closet by admitting I don’t know functional programming, at least not good enough. Having admitted that I might as well continue admitting other weaknesses I, until now, secretly have.
Having worked in a record store for some years I learned that some music is OK (Pink Floyd, Guns ‘n Roses…). Some music is totally obligatory to like (Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan) and some music is NOT ok (Whitesnake, Bon Jovi).
Perhaps it is my fright of being regarded as a hipster that forces me to write this. Or perhaps I am seeing too many people liking stuff because they really should like it (hipster!). But let’s not put too much into this. This post is just for fun.
Bands I like that are NOT OK to like by most musical snobs:
- Whitesnake – come on!!!! Listen to Ready an’ willing. It’s fantastic.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd – Wow, they’re awesome. Second Coming. Nuthin’ Fancy. Skynyrd’s First and… Last. I love “Sweet home..”. Really, it’s a great song. Listen to the lyrics and Southern man by Neil Young. Also check out Southern Rock Opera by Drive by Truckers!!!
- Rush – ok, I am not a huge fan but they’re good.
- John Denver – Farewell Andromeda!!!!
Bans I am supposed to like, but I don’t:
- Velvet Underground – well, some songs are good.
- Beach boys – I just don’t get it. What’s good about ’em?
- Queen – come on, does anyone really them?
- The Doors – I did like them years ago. Not at all anymore.
- The Police – No, don’t feel a thing. Like the drums though!
- The Strokes – Don’t get it.
I do however qualify as a basted liking bands I should so I am just like anyone else. I am huge fan of Sonic Youth, Talking Heads, Tom Waits – and boy, they all give super duper heavy duty points among record (store) folks.
I have some ideas on subjects where I feel a need to come out: movies, literature, beer,